Thursday, March 19, 2009

Slaying Giants

I never write on this blog. I really hate that I never write on this blog because I really, really have a strong desire to write. I know what my problem is though and I'm taking steps to fix it. I am a perfectionist, plain and simple. My perfectionism takes over and gets me all flustered. I then figure there is no way that I can possibly write anything as I am too worried about my word placement, my adverbial clauses, spelling, prepositional phrases, capitals, periods, semicolons, and on and on the list progresses. So I don't write. Today I am tackling my perfectionistic giant and just writing for the sake of writing. For my kids, I will just write and not worry about the technical stuff. They truly don't care anyway.

I do have one other problem though. I always come up with exactly what I want to write about when I am in the shower. Unfortunately, my computer is not in the shower with me so I lose the thought by the time I get a chance to sit and type. The thoughts about what I wanted to write have completely vanished from my brain, along with the list of what I need to do that day, what I was planning to cook for dinner, and what the temperature is supposed to be. That's how it is for me. If I think about it, it better get written down immediately or it's lost in the myriad of other thoughts and ideas, never to return, unless of course it comes to me during my next shower! I'm working on this problem too, but it seems to be an even bigger giant to slay than the perfectionism. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

julia @say you will love me forever said...

here's my idea...assign one girl per day to sit in the bathroom w/you while you take your shower and get all of your fabulous ideas. you say your thoughts outloud in the shower and one of your girls will be responsible for getting it all down on paper (handwriting/dication/summarizing) or on a laptop (typing/dictation/summarizing). and then it all counts as part of the school day!!!!! hee hee :) :)

when can we come over? next tues/wed/fri is good for me. julia.

Jennie said...

Just put a recorder in there and when a thought comes you can just push a button. Then go back and decipher your thoughts.
I had a pastor once who always joked that he got his best sermons on the throne - maybe it wasn't a joke LOL

Jennie said...

Just keep a recorder in there and when the thoughts come just push the button and later when you can decipher them on the computer.
Once I had a pastor who said his best sermons came when he was on the throne - maybe he wasn't kidding LOL.

Nicky said...

I always come up with what I want to write before I fall asleep at night. ~Nicky